Permanent - Full Time ( Flexible hours)
Closing date: 29th June 2022
Location: Devon Hotel Matford Exeter EX2 8XU
Deadline to apply: 10th June 2022
As Junior Sous Chef you will assist the Head Chef and Sous Chef in running a successful, efficient and profitable kitchen environment. Using quality ingredients, you will inspire flavourful menus whilst overseeing the attractiveness and quantity of food going out of the kitchen for guest consumption. Work for Brend Hotels and receive competitive pay, opportunities for progression, share of staff tips, staff discounts at Brend Hotels and paid holidays. This is a great opportunity to work for a successful local company in Exeter.
What will I be doing?
As a Junior Sous Chef at Devon Hotel, you will be responsible for leading a team, offering guidance and ensuring the quality of their skills to help advance their career and support an efficient working environment. You’ll liaise with other departments ensuring communication is open between kitchen, restaurant, bar, sales and event personnel. Specifically, you will be responsible for performing the following tasks to the highest standards:
- Be aware of all product promotional activities within the hotel, including events taking place.
- Ensure each section of the kitchen is manned efficiently and that the Chefs de Partie, Commis Chefs & Kitchen Porters are working to the best of their ability.
- Responsible for the ordering of quality fresh and frozen food for daily and specific needs, ensuring it covers the hotel’s food requirements.
- Oversee food storage, ensuring all food is kept in a prime location and stock rotation is used across all areas of the kitchen.
- To ensure each section is controlling mise-en-plas quality, quantity and is storing it correctly, minimising food waste.
- To attend Head of Department meetings and Operation meetings in chefs absence or when required.
- Support the Head Chef in implementing relevant SOP for all areas in the kitchen as appropriate.
- Carry out monthly training sessions with all your team in line with your departmental SOP manuals, maintaining all training records, which must be signed and kept up to date.
- Complete objectives set by the Head Chef in the time allocated.
- To ensure Health & Safety Training is completed and recorded in line with the company guidelines.
- Observe all Security, Hygiene, Weights & Measures, Health & Safety Regulations.
- Maintain a high standard of personal hygiene and appearance at all times.
- Be friendly and courteous to Staff, Management and Guests at all times.
- Attend training courses and meetings as requested.
- Undertake any other duty, which you may reasonably be requested to do.
- Be prepared for responsibilities to change from time to time, to reflect this developing role.
What are we looking for?
To successfully fill this role as Junior Sous Chef at Devon Hotel, you should maintain the attitude, behaviours, skills, and values that follow:
- Ability to show leadership skills through effective communication
- A friendly approach to liaising with other departments
- Positive attitude and willingness to develop structures within your working environment to increase efficiency
- Ability to use your own initiative using quality ingredients to inspire dishes
- Commitment to delivering high levels of food preparation for customer satisfaction
- A neat and tidy appearance (hair and fingernails) and adherence to uniform requirements.
- Flexibility to respond to a range of different work situations
- Ability to show guidance to others to allow them to progress in their career
What’s in it for me?
There’s plenty of perks when it comes to joining the Brend Hotels team which include competitive rates of pay, paid holidays, a share of staff tips and you could be eligible for live-in accommodation in Exeter. You’ll also receive discounts when dining at any Brend Hotels establishment as well as reduced accommodation rates. Brend Hotels are very proud of their wonderful staff and do all they can to develop them, offering support and training throughout their career as well as offering genuine opportunities for career progression within a successful local company.
What is it like to work for Brend Hotels?
Brend Hotels is a family-run company that has been a leader in West Country hospitality for over fifty years. We have a passion for excellence and we pour our hearts and souls into making sure we exceed customer expectations time and time again. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!