Welcome to the Devon Hotel
The purpose of this accessibility guide is to help you make an informed decision as to whether The Devon Hotel and Carriages will be suitable for you and your family, friends and colleagues. We are committed to improving accessibility for all guests and visitors whatever your requirements so that you can enjoy your stay with us. We hope that you find this information useful and beneficial.
However, we are aware that everyone’s needs are different, so if you have any questions or if there is anything not covered in the information that follows, please do not hesitate to get in touch and we will be happy to assist you. And of course, our friendly and experienced team will be on hand to assist you at any point during your stay with us.
- For assistance prior to arrival please contact the reservations team on 01392 259268
- Reservations are open between 7.00am-10.30pm every day.
- We have a comprehensive website - www.devonhotel.co.uk
- Our sample menus are available in a larger font on request.
- You can contact the hotel by phone, email or in person. Please email enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We can supply local taxi telephone numbers and there are companies in Exeter that have taxis suitable for less able people if required. We are happy to make a booking for you.
- There is a mobility shop in Exeter (approx. 0.8 miles from the hotel).
At a Glance
- The Devon Hotel consists of two buildings. The main hotel accommodation and fitness suite are built over two floors and a separate two-story building housing Carriages Brasserie, our lounge bar and function suites.
- The Devon Hotel has two adapted easy access, disabled friendly rooms with grab rails, shower with seat and emergency push button assist alarms. See Rooms section of our website for full details.
- Although the hotel does not have a lift, there are a total of 21 rooms on the ground floor.
- Our Carriages Restaurant, bar and lounge are all situated on the ground floor and have ramped access from the restaurant car park. The ground floor provides dining, lounge, bar and some function facilities.
- The Regency Suite function room is located on the ground floor and is accessible from the main entrance or ramped access from the car park.
- The Georgian and Victorian function suites are on the 1st floor and can be accessed via the ground floor by lift.
- The Edwardian Suite function room is on the first floor and has its own male and female toilets. Access is via 5-10 steps or by ramped access. There are 24 steps to gain access to the Edwardian Suite. Once in the suite everything is on the level.
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor of Carriages bar, lounge and restaurant.
- All public rooms have plenty of natural light.
- All bedrooms and corridors are well lit with contrasting flooring and walls.
- There is free wifi available throughout the hotel.
- There is good mobile reception throughout the hotel and every bedroom has a telephone.
- The fire alarms are tested weekly. You will be made aware when they are if it is planned during your stay.
- There is a drop off point at the main entrance to the Hotel.
- There are two designated disabled parking space in the car park at the front of the hotel. This space is available to those with a blue disability badge. If the space isn’t available when you arrive, we can arrange to park your car for you.
- Entrance to the front of the hotel is flat.
- The width of the entrance door to the hotel is 825mm although this is openable up to 1650mm.
- Front of House staff are always available to assist you and, if you wish, your luggage can be collected from your car and delivered directly to your room. Front of House staff can also help you upon departure.
- The main car park is approximately 10 metres from the hotel entrance.
- The secondary car park is approximately 50 metres from the hotel entrance.
Getting Around the Inside of the Hotel
- The flooring is laminated wood flooring.
- The height of the reception desk is 1150mm. There is seating available with a selection of armchair and tall back seats present.
- The lighting is LED downlighting.
- Hearing loops are currently unavailable.
- All accommodation corridors are well lit and carpeted.
- Access to Carriages bar, lounge & restaurant and Function suites from the Hotel accommodation is via a covered walkway between the two buildings. There is a small road to pass across and 10 steps up to the Carriages building. There is also ramped access.
- Carriages bar, lounge and restaurant main entrance is accessed via eight steps from the restaurant car park or by ramped access.
- To permit free movement, automatic door release mechanisms are used in some parts of the building. Doors fitted with this type of closure will shut if the fire alarm system operates.
- The minimum width of all internal doorways is 770mm.
- Wall sockets are located throughout the ground floor.
- The entrances to the restaurant floor is laminated wood with the dining areas carpeted.
- There is ample movable seating and there are chairs with or without arms available.
- There is background music in most areas. This can be adjusted if requested.
- Service is a mixture of buffet and table service. Full waiter service is provided if required.
- There is a mixture of natural and artificial light in all areas.
- Menus are typed clearly and can be supplied in larger text.
- Staff are happy to read and explain menus.
- All types of allergies and dietary requirements are catered for.
Stairs & Lifts
- There is no lift in the Hotel, however there is a lift in the Carriages building which accesses to two of the 1st floor function rooms.
- There are 21 rooms on the ground floor which open directly onto the car park, minimum door width is 800mm. There are 39 rooms on the 1st floor.
- There are 14 steps to access rooms 201-207 and once on this level rooms have split levels with 4 steps between the bathroom and bedroom.
- There are 11 steps to access rooms 208-229. Once on the first floor our King double/twin rooms have 4 steps up to the door from the corridor. Our standard double rooms are on a split level with four steps between bathroom and bedroom.
- Via a separate entrance to our executive rooms there are 17 steps to access the first floor rooms 230-239.
- The lift has an automatic door and is the floor is tiled. The lift can comfortably accommodate a wheelchair and one escort. The floor space is 1.38mm x 0.95mm. The doors are 0.95mm wide.
- The 1st floor bedrooms can be accessed stairs. The ground floor bedrooms can be accessed via the car park.
- We have two adapted easy access, disabled friendly rooms with grab rails, shower with seat and emergency push button assist alarms. Full details and pictures of these can be seen in the Rooms section of our website.
- A Deaf Guard fire alarm listening device is available at Guest Relations
- The bedrooms have short pile carpets.
- All rooms have bedside lights - extra lighting is available on request.
- The majority of bedding is 'non feather'. Please advise us prior to your stay of any allergies.
- All rooms are 'non-smoking'.
- There is a telephone available in all bedrooms.
- All bedrooms have an ensuite facilities
- Plugs are available on both sides of the bed in all Double / King Size rooms.
- The amount of space around the bed varies depending on the room type reserved. Our Reservations team can discuss this with you when booking.
- The majority of beds can be split into twin beds. However, this is not possible in some rooms.
- Nonallergic bedding is available.
- All rooms have either curtains or blinds.
- All rooms have wardrobes of various sizes.
- TVs have subtitles available.
Bathrooms & Shower Rooms
- Ladies' and Gents toilets are available on the ground floor, close to bar and restaurant.
- There is a disabled toilet on the ground floor. This is 2.20 metres x 1.45 metres.
- The room is well lit and the floor is tiled.
- The access door opens outwards. The opening is 900mm.
- An emergency assistance alarm system is installed.
- Supporting grab rails are provided.
- The toilet flush is a paddle type design for ease of use.
- The toilet is at a specific height to make it easier for wheelchair users to transfer and for those with mobility issues to use it without needing to bend as far.
- The wash basin is accessible to wheelchair users
- There is a lever-handle tap or a tap for ease of use.
- Baby changing facilities are available in the disabled toilet.
- Accessible shower room facilities are available in a selection of hotel bedrooms.
On booking, please inform our reception team of any equipment required for your booking and we will do our utmost to arrange this or hire on your behalf.
- Bath seat
- High Chair
- Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs can be charged in the main foyer.
- The fire alarm is a continuous sounder and does not have flashing lights.
- Red flashing beacons are installed in some areas of the Hotel
- Deafgards linked to the fire alarm system are available on request for those guests with impaired hearing.
- Fire action notices are available in each room. Please ensure that you make yourself familiar with these for your own safety.
- A Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan can be agreed upon arrival with guests.
This website (devonhotel.co.uk) is run by Percy R Brend & Sons (Hoteliers) Ltd. We aim to provide a website that is accessible to a wide audience, regardless of technology or ability.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of this website and welcome any suggestions users might have to help us do so. If you feel that we are not meeting your accessibility requirements, please contact email@example.com.
We have tried to be as accurate and detailed as possible in our Access Statement but we are always willing to give further information on any aspect of the hotel. If you feel you have a particular query we have not covered then please do not hesitate to contact us.
We are always looking to improve our service to our guests, so please let us know if you have any comments about this access statement. We would welcome any suggestions you may have that would make your stay with us more comfortable and enjoyable.
Tel: 01392 259268
Fax: 01392 413142
Address: The Devon Hotel, Matford, Exeter, Devon, EX2 8XU